Monday, October 29, 2012

Small town, big heart...

So I was telling you about how crazy the house hunt is turning out to be. However, there is one thing I noticed in the few days that we talked to brokers; brokers will be brokers. No matter which city, which town, perhaps even which village (shall I show you that field, it has the perfectly planned irrigation system, it is much bigger than this one, and you get the field caretaker's hut free with it. Free Free Free...), brokers are going to be all alike, and worried only about their commission.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, to judge a city's people, DO NOT go by how the brokers behave with you.
There was a friend of a colleague who offered to show us around a few houses through some contacts he had (remember how I told you - you have to know a guy who knows a guy). He roamed the town with us tirelessly, one day with his wife even, while we faced disappointment after disappointment. That's when I realized. This guy's actually doing this because we're known through friends. I'm sure he doesn't need the commission, and if he does, I don't think it's his sole motive. That day after looking around while we sat in his house, sipping Bovonto (oh yeah, Google it!), we had our first encounter with the warmth and humaneness that people in these parts unfailingly exhibit.
Big cities make us cynical. For instance, while thirstily taking in the cool, fruity goodness of Bovonto, I couldn't help wondering why they were entertaining us. They had literally accompanied us from house to house for over three and a half hours, just so that we would have the support of someone who knows the place. And the young wife, chatty as she was, was nonintrusive about what she asked me. But I couldn't just shake off the feeling that this wasn't normal. Why are they so friendly?
I know, that when you're new to a place, it is always better to be wary of whom you get acquainted with, and not entirely wise to be fully trusting.
But I guess, sometimes you instinctively know. And when that genuine warmth and friendship beckons you, it's very difficult not to shush your wary alter ego. 

2 comments: