Thursday, October 25, 2012

First Impressions...

And we're here! On landing in Madurai, we were picked up from the airport and covered the distance of around 140 km in less than 2 hours, thanks to the extremely good road between the two places. The chatty driver told us about life in Tuticorin.
Today's my first day here, and I feel like I'm part of a Tamil film. I'm just waiting for Surya to materialize from around the corner on his Royal Enfield. I've visited this part of the country years ago, although not Tuticorin, but close enough, and while I knew approximately what to expect, it's still different when you come to live here.
There are two main roads, the Victoria Extension(VE) Road, and the Palayamkottai Road, where the majority of shops and offices are located, and the rest of the town is covered in a 5km radius around these roads. We are currently staying in a hotel called DSF Grand Plaza, on the VE Road, and it's pretty nice. Over the next few days we need to find ourselves a house, and move in.

View of Tuticorin town from DSF Grand Plaza


One of the major issues here is the 10 to 12 hour power cuts every day. It's quite unbelievable, considering there are so many thermal power plants here (I saw atleast 4 on my way here yesterday!). We have already heard horror stories about the summer time, when it's difficult to sleep and do pretty much anything else because of these power cuts. I should probably sneak into my husband's office during the day time at sit non-intrusively in a corner, while the rest of them work. Ssshhh!
Another first impression, which I can say with reasonable confidence won't change, is the delectable food ! I've had all of two meals here, and I'm floored. If this is how the dosas and pongal are going to be, then well, I'm quite tummy-happy. We've heard a lot about the "parottas" that are served in several "night clubs" (Yeah even I was wondering about that, but "night clubs" in Tuticorin mean small restaurants that serve excellent local delicacies after 7 pm).
Tuticorin, aka Thoothukudi, is home to one of the most important ports in the country, and its economy mainly depends on shipping, fisheries, salt pans. Thoothukudi is also known as the Pearl City, because it was earlier a major location for pearl diving.
In a nutshell, my first impression, while one of skepticism, is still hopeful. Having lived in big cities all my life, I am obviously apprehensive about adjusting to a new life. While that sounds extremely arrogant, I'm just being honest. What is different about this place, is that people here do give a damn. Traits that are quite difficult to find in a big city, like helping out a random stranger and politeness (Oh, sweet Lord, where did that go?!) flow in abundance here.
Here's to a new beginning ! 

4 comments:

  1. hope the impression just remains intact all the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is going to be tough initially but I am sure you will be able to adjust soon!

    ReplyDelete