Saturday, October 13, 2012

Anticipation...

So it's final! We're moving down south, to the pearl city of Tuticorin. For those who consider anything south of Madhya Pradesh to be "Chinnai", well this isn't. It's about 600km south of "Chinnai". Here's a conversation I had with one of the guys at work, (oh well, ex-work! hurrah!):
Me: So, we're moving out of Bombay, to a town in Tamil Nadu called Tuticorin. It's a port town, in case you haven't heard about it.
Ignorant I-only-know-about-Chinnai-dude: Oh, but you could have worked from Chennai, na?
Me: This isn't Chennai. I'm moving to a different place. It's a 12 hour train journey from Chennai.
Ignorant blah guy: Oh, Ok. Anyway, good for you, you must be used to the Chennai weather, na? For us it will be very difficult in a place like that.
Me: <thinking to myself - HOW? I've never lived in Chennai! I have lived in Bangalore, which is nothing like Chennai, and then in Bombay, where you also live, and hence will know about the weather.> Hmmm.. yeah, I guess.
Ignorant blah guy: So both your husband's and your parents live in Chennai?
Me: No. Err.. I've got to run, bye!

Phew. I mean, I know that if someone told me they were going to live in XYZ-pur up North, I probably wouldn't know better than to assume it was a part of Delhi. But after being told it wasn't, I might just get the point.

Anyway...getting back to the point of this post, Tuticorin it is!!!!!!! After deciding that we would take the big leap, I've been reading up so much about the town that I know the names of various localities by heart. Tuticorin is going to be such a drastic contrast to Bombay, that it will probably feel like a permanent vacation. Well the boredom of having none of the recreational options that Bombay has will set in. But perhaps it is time to live that simpler life for a while and experience it. It's destiny's way of saying get over the damn rush and take some time to smell the coffee.

Just one more week to go before the move. More about the town and the beautiful shores of Southern India once we're there :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment