Friday, December 7, 2012

Strolling down Stroget, Copenhagen

Copenhagen is one of my favourite cities. I don't know why. Sometimes when you're in a place, you just feel good, right? You feel happy. And please, let's not get into one of those "happiness is a frame of mind" discussions - you know what I mean. This was one of those places. I especially loved walking down Stroget, the car-free, pedestrians only street that is a shopper's haven. Well I didn't shop much, actually, at all, except for an umbrella because I was the only fool without one in the January snow.
Stroget is not just a shopping street; it's a Copenhagen experience you cannot miss.



Sometime in the 1950's or '60's, the street was shut off to vehicle traffic owing to Christmas crowds, and the clever authorities realized it was a far better idea to leave it that way, without really making any public noise about it. Sneaky, right? But it has to be one of the best things that happened to the city, because when you walk down Stroget, you'll know what I mean.
The Stroget is actually a collection of streets branching off from one main road - Fredriksberggade, Gammel Torv/Nytorv, Nygade, Vimmelskaftet, Amagertorv and Ostergade.

I'm sure you've heard of the famous Illums Bolighus. They make these eye-wateringly delicious looking kitchenware, glassware, household furnishings and other goodies that I could only gaze at longingly from the outside (Partly because they may not have allowed a shabby looking hot-chocolate-clutching backpacker inside). Stroget is home to Illum Bolighus, The Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Factory (another one of those magnificent places I may not have been allowed into) and Magasin du Nord, some of the city's and perhaps the world's most expensive stores. Of course you'll find the H&M's and other similar places where you can dare to set foot, as well.

But my favorite part of Stroget was Konditeri La Glace - cake heaven. This is the most ridiculously overpriced bakery/confectioners' that I've been to, but also, the most fabulous. If there's a place where I wouldn't drown in my own tears for having shelled out 100 DKK for a cake, it's this. They make the most delicious layered cakes, and while I sat there nibbling at a piece (absolutely SLOWLY, because I never wanted it to finish!), and sipping divine hot chocolate, I was in heaven.

One end of Stroget has international designer stores like Gucci, and Chanel, again territory where I'd have been eyed suspiciously. But if you're as into people watching as I am, it's an interesting experience to just gaze at those immaculately dressed Danes walk in and out of these stores.

At some point down the road, I also came across some musicians performing outside one of the stores. I stood and listened for a good fifteen minutes, they were excellent!

Winter, spring, summer or fall, whether it's snowing or raining, or whatever else, you will see people walking down Stroget. "We will wear twenty five layers, and carry umbrellas, but we will walk, and we will shop" is the motto here, and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment